Saturday, May 2, 2009

Beaver D%$#


The other day Jack was playing with a little boy outside who taught him his first cuss word. He must have heard it 7,000 times in the 45 minute period they were playing, because it was burned into Jack's vocabulary. From the moment he came inside he was singing "D%#$ dog, d#$@ dog". I calmly sat him down and explained to him that we do not say that word (I hate, hate, hate swearing, and was very proud of how calm I was) The next few days he tried really hard not to say it, but it always seemed to slip out a few times resulting in sassy spray (a mixture of vinegar and water that we spray in his mouth. He went through a phase where he was getting a lot of soap. We decided to try sassy spray so we weren't poisoning him). After a few days he came to me and said, "Mom, is beaver dam bad?" "No", I said, explaining to him that it's what beavers build in rivers. He was happy with this answer and the rest of the day he kept saying "beaver dam", over and over again. I decided to ignore this and the phase would be over in a few weeks. Then....... I heard him playing outside with some boys when the neighbor dog walked by and he yelled at it "BEAVER DAM DOG!!!!!". Needless to say, we quickly had another talk.

15 comments:

The Boys Rule said...

Sorry Ruth, I really shouldn't be laughing, but that is pretty d&#% funny. Oops, sorry. I guess I need some sassy spray myself.

Jen said...

on no! I don't know if I should be laughing at that or not....

Jobi Niu said...

ha ha ha ha I'm sorry I'm laughing, that is so funny.. He's so cute.. Jett has said it a few times too, it's so hard not to laugh. But OBVIOUSLy I do NOT want him saying it.

Barb said...

That cracks me up!! I love your Jack stories.

Matt and Kirsten said...

I think that is quite worthy of a laugh!!! I love it!

MStevenson said...

Your such an awesome Mom...your boy sounds so cute.

I've never heard of sassy spray, did you make that up?

Kristin D. said...

I love the idea of sassy spray. Need to remember that one. I am laughing too.

April Annie said...

I love this story. Sassy spray has been a life saver at our house. Just last Sunday my kids got it for being so *#@&-ty while the home teachers were here. Sorry for the cuss word. I -unlike you- feel like sometimes no other word works in place of a good swear word! hehehe Hard to believe we grew up together :)

Kawa Rangers said...

Jack is so funny. I love that he listened to you and didn't say it without saying beaver first.

Hillary said...

That is so funny!! I about peed my pants. I love that kid!

The Pyne's said...

That is HILLARIUOS! I mean it's not, but I so have been there too, but it was another not so good word, GOSH! So, now everytime conner hears the real word, he says "mommy, that person just said that one word I'm not supposed to say!" We hear it LOTS out this way too! So hopefully he doesn't get hooked on it for when/if we move back to good ole utah!

Dan & Staci said...

That is hilariously funny and I think you handled it great. That sassy spray sure sounds like a great idea. Good thinking. Jack is such a smart little by.

Cheryl said...

That is hilarious!! I love your "sassy" spray thats a great idea.

Its so crazy how much a simple little word gets stuck in their mind and they have to use it over and over. I hope the phase ends soon.

Doodlecraft said...

Wow Ruth, you are the woman! That is awesome. I think most of us mom's have to go through that at some point...since we hear every single explicative on TV now! Ahh, the olden days, when women would model bras over shirts and the ankles would never show...

John and Kassie said...

Thanks for making me laugh today! That is too funny -- we probably need to try some of that sassy spray at our house! Thank you ---thank you for the delicous strawberry jam you gave us----so yummy on our "cake" :)