Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Jack's Donut

Jack loves donuts. He isn't much of a sugar boy, but he LOVES donuts. The other night I had to go to the store by myself. Jack begged me to bring him home a donut, and since he hadn't thrown a fit about not going with me, I agreed. When I got home I was done! Going to Walmart on a saturday night, not the best idea. We hurried and got the kids in bed, which made me more done! A few minutes later after I had just sat down to relax for a minute I heard Jack softly call me into his room.
"Mom, did you bring me home a donut?"
At that moment I realized that the last time I saw his donut was when the checker rang it up and I was pretty sure that she had put it on the little table for me to put it in my purse, and I hadn't. I had already put all the groceries away and I knew that it wasn't in any of the bags. I started to panic. I knew we didn't have the donut and now he was politely asking for it. I was frustrated and tired and I didn't want to deal with this at the moment.
"I don't know where it is, just don't worry about it!" I didn't say it very nice, because I knew I really didn't know what to do. I said good night and left the room. I explained to Brendan that hopefully he will have forgotten about it by morning. A few minutes later Jack softly called me back into his room.
"What Jack?" I said.
"Maybe we should say a prayer."
I started to scream inside. "you don't pray over a donut!" I didn't know how to handle this. If he said a prayer to find his donut I would have to drive back to the store (which if any of you remember, we live in Eagle Mountain.....the closest store is 12 miles away!). I told him quickly (and not very nicely) that if he wanted to pray he could, but he should also pray that he would not worry about it any more.
He jumped out of bed and said "Dear Heavenly Father please help mommy to find my donut and please help me not to worry about it. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen."
I said good night and went out into the living room to sulk and think about my drive back to walmart. I sat down for one second and a thought came to me to look in the fridge. I jumped up and told Brendan that I knew where Jack's donut was. I had to take dinner to someone the next day so I had kept all of their stuff in a bag and thrown it in the fridge. Sure enough, there was his donut. I couldn't believe it! I crept into his room. "Jack, I found your donut."
"I knew you would. Good night mommy, I love you."
" I love you too, Jack."
Oh, the faith of a child and the little faith that I had. You really can pray over things as silly as a donut. I will never forget this story, and the lesson I learned from my 5 year old.
A few minutes later I saw Jack's head poke through the doorway. "Can I have just one bite tonight?" I let him have one.

14 comments:

Doodlecraft said...

So cute! I must admit, we've prayed over sillier things!

Jen said...

Wow, what an awesome little boy you have! I love "Jack stories" that you post on here.

Whit,Tiff and B said...

That's a cute story!

Candice said...

That's so adorable! My kids would have thrown a fit and cried for two hours. :)

The Cragun's said...

That is so cute!

Melissa said...

Awww ... gotta love those teaching moments. That is, when they're teaching us of course. What a cutie!

Jobi Niu said...

hahahahaha LOL!!! I just love your boys! I miss them. "Jack stories" are hilarious.

Celeste said...

Isn't it amazing what your kids teach you? That is such a cute story!

The Pyne's said...

Ruth, it just goes to show that you guys are GREAT examples to your kids that he knew he could pray over a donut!!! Way cute!! and I so would have been screaming at him to just go to bed.....so what a GOOD mother you are!!

Tiffany said...

What kind of donut are we talking about here? Chocolate donuts are worth praying for, glazed not so much!

MStevenson said...

You're an awesome Mom.

Celeste said...

Ok, so that made me get tears in my eyes. I love how kids are blessed with such great faith...if only we could all hang on to that as our "logic" begins to set in! Thanks for sharing that. It was a wonderful reminder that I need to have child-like faith!

April Annie said...

sniff.. sniff.... oh that boy!

Laura said...

Cool story! Thanks for sharing.