Friday, October 2, 2009

Cake, I did it!

When Jack turned 2 I thought, "Well sure, I can make a Lightening McQueen cake. How hard can it really be?" I was sooooooooooooooooooooo wrong. This was the result and I cried and laughed really hard that day. Kirsten helped me. (Don't think I'm not going to give you some credit for the above picture) I had no idea what I was doing and the only thing that let you know it was a car were the tires on the side. We just kept dumping more and more of that awful red frosting on there to hopefully cover it up. I will never forget Jack's face when he saw it. It was kind of a "What the Heck is that" look! He finally figured out it was a car, but lets just say that nobody was very thrilled with it.
This year I did my homework! (Homework: watching Ace of Cakes, or Amazing Wedding Cakes.) I can't believe that I even tried again after the 2 year fiasco, but I did and I am so proud of the result. If you can't tell it looks identical to Jack's Optimus Prime toy. He knew exactly what it was and so did everyone else! He was so proud of it, and of his mom. Yes, Kirsten did help me again! Thanks Kirst! I was a little bit worried because Jack had watched some of the cake shows with me and he knew what he wanted. The most amazing thing was the Marshmallow fondant that I researched myself and it turned out amazing.
It really looked cool. I don't think the pictures do it justice. I had to make it twice, once for his friend party and once for the family party. When my nephew saw it he asked where I ordered the cake from. When I told him I made it he just stared at me with his mouth open. As you can tell I'm pretty proud of it (even though I know it's not as great as I think it is), but let me just be proud for a minute. I think I have made an amazing improvement!

11 comments:

Jen said...

That looks awesome!! Way to go for trying it again :) What a great mom you are for going to all that work. I remember trying to make a birthday cake for Natalie one year (with Kirsten of course) and it ended up looking more like a squatty looking leaning tower of Pisa. And of course we thought that more frosting would fix it...So instead we had this leaning cake with saggy frosting. So we stuck army guys all over it, as if that would cover it up :) It was awesome!

April Annie said...

I think it's GREAT!!!! You should be very proud of it. It was fun to see how excited Jack was about it too. Why do we always think things are easier then they really are? Way to go.

PS: I love Jen's comment. I can picture it perfectly.

MStevenson said...

Looks good!

Matt and Kirsten said...

Ok, so apparently i REALLY can make a disaster of cakes - Jenn I tried to forget that one, but now I am so glad to remember it. I think I will just order cakes for my children's b-days. Also, I think my favorite part of the picture of Jack with the cake is me in the back ground - What!?!? Anyway, Ruth you should be so happy about that I LOVED it and Jack was so proud of you. He is such a sweet boy!

Celeste said...

Wow, am I impressed!

The Pyne's said...

wow, what a huge improvement ruth!!!! I totally think that your first cake is still cute/good though, but between the 2 I think I would totally pick the 2nd one!! Way awesome, conner would totally love that cake!! Congrats on the great cake and having such a fun birthday party for jack!!! It looks like a lot of fun.

Melissa said...

Well I am definitely impressed! Look at you go! I bet Jack was so happy about his cake. What a good mom you are!

Jobi Niu said...

GOOD JOB RUTH!! That looks great! I don't even think I'd attempt. It probably took SO MUCH patience huh? Which I have NEGATIVE of.

Cindi said...

Very cool cake. I am impressed. Happy birthday, Jack.

Tiffany said...

GREAT cake, and great party! How will I ever live up?

Four Winns said...

ruth, send me your address (anniewinn at gmail) and I'll send off your prize :o)